International Students


Medical Insurance Policy for International Students

By Board of Trustees and FIU rule, all international students with F and J status are required to have medical insurance prior to registration. Proof must be submitted to the Health Compliance Office at Student Health Services. Students will receive an "IMI" service indicator (health insurance hold) on their student account, as it appears in Panthersoft. Students will not be allowed to register for classes or continue enrollment without complying with the medical insurance requirement. There are no exceptions to this rule.

The medical insurance requirement can be met in one of two ways:

  • By purchasing the FIU Sponsored Health Insurance Plan.
  • By submitting an International Student Alternative Health Insurance Compliance Form completed by your current insurance company and approved by SHS.

FIU Sponsored Health Insurance Plan– Academic Year 2015 - 2016

FIU partners with the State University System’s Insurance Broker, Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk, to provide international student health insurance coverage through UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company.

UnitedHealthcare Insurance plans will only be available for purchase online via the Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk website. For your convenience, plans will be sold annually or per semester in accordance with the academic schedule. Note: online purchases have an e-check fee of $3.00 or credit card processing fee of $10.00. For online enrollment, please visit






Spring/ Summer


Summer A/C


Summer B


Enrollment Deadline












Spouse/Domestic Partner*






Each Child*






All Children*






All Dependents*






                                                                                                   *A nominal, non-refundable processing fee applies

Spouse and Child(ren) rates and enrollment are also available online at  
If you have any questions regarding the 2014-2015 plans through Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk and UnitedHealthcare Insurance, you may contact an account representative at the following:


Alternative Health Insurance Policy

If you have your own insurance policy, your insurance company must complete and fax the International Student Alternative Health Insurance Compliance Form directly to SHS.

NOTE: The SHS will not be able to review any alternative health insurance plan without the Alternative Health Insurance Compliance Form. The guidelines for insurance have been established by the Florida Board of Governors and must be met. Please review the Florida Board of Governors state regulation prior to purchasing any alternative plan. The completed compliance form must verify the following:

  • the coverage meets or exceeds the minimum FIU requirements
  • the name, address, and telephone number of a claims agent in the United States
  • you are covered under the policy
  • your insurance has been pre-paid through current year

The Health Compliance Unit must receive the International Student Alternative Health Insurance Compliance Form directly from your insurance company. Your policy will be reviewed, and if it complies with the guidelines, you will be cleared to register. If your policy does not comply with the guidelines, you will not be cleared until you document insurance coverage which meets FIU requirements or purchase the FIU Sponsored Health Insurance Plan.

International Graduate Assistants

Florida International University provides subsidized health insurance to all graduate assistants, teaching assistants and fellows holding a full-term appointment for 20 hours per week. All graduate assistants will be enrolled in the new Graduate Assistant health insurance program and will be cleared of the insurance service indicator (IMI) from a list provided by the Graduate School.

Graduate Assistants will pay a percentage of the insurance premium through payroll deduction. All Graduate Assistants are required to participate in this health insurance plan unless they wish to opt out and provide proof of alternate insurance by submitting an alternate insurance form to Student Health Services and UGS.

Plan Information:

For any further questions, please contact the University Graduate School: